What is it? It is a surgical procedure performed on the genitals of girls and women in many communities. It covers a range of procedures which are also referred as female circumcision. The age and time it is practised differs from one community to the other. Though it is highly discouraged by human rights bodies, these communities have reasons why they do it.
Reasons why it is done
- It marks the transition from childhood to womanhood. It is a rite of passage that is intended to impact the skills and information a woman needs to fulfil her duties as a wife and a mother.
- It is believed to reduce sexual desire in a woman. This ensures her virginity is maintained until marriage.
- Certain communities practise for religious reason believing that it is one their faith requirements.
- Some communities consider the private part to be ugly, offensive and dirty thus the removal of some of its part makes the woman more hygenic.As the part is stitched , the size is reduced to please the husband.
- Some do it because they believe that they will have a satisfactory bride prize as the practice makes the woman culturally and socially acceptable in the society.
- Uncircumcised woman is seen as a child hence denied the status, access possession and roles of an adult woman in the community.
Get in touch by following me as I give you the different types of FGM. I would like to hear your opinion. Kindly give your views as you comment. Visit more of my posts